I have managed to play a bit during my "mission organization". All work and no play makes Karen...well actually all work and no play would never "make Karen".
A friend had requested a custom piece for a gift for her mother in law. She lives in Devon, has some art talent as well I am told. Primarily painting but not sure what kind. A traditional English lady with an eclectic taste. I am also told she loves her tea! Coincidently her name begins with the letter "T".
So adding that all up and a need to experiment with some ideas I came up with this:
It began life with this background. A map, a cut up painting, etc. The colors are bright and not part of my soft background tone plan...but I had a plan...would it work?
The next step is a scary one because I am relying on my theory of the final step to make it all happen. I covered the collage with a vintage handkerchief to "mute" it a bit. A bit more opaque than I wanted...BUT...if that final step pulls through for me it will have the look I want. Here is a tiny peak.
Next for the art! I started with an old metal "T" stencil...now what. When all else fails add a bird. Hmmm, English, proper, tea...yes..."Sir Tweet-tea" who will need a hat! Stain it up with ink, add a piece of watch band for a brim and Sir Tweet-tea is ready to set down his paint brush for tea....
Be careful Sir Tweet-tea...your paintbrush is flying away.
What would tea be with out a teaspoon? "Incomplete, like this art piece if I did not distress and bend one to add a handle" is my answer!
Just in case Sir Tweet-tea is a bit "foggy" from all the paint fumes there is a simple recipe for tea on the side of the art piece, along with other fun scraps.
Now the moment we are all waiting for... the step to make it have the look I want....will it work....warming up the bees wax. Keeping more to the golden side vs the bleached I like to use. deep breath..........it worked! The bees wax made the hankie layer more translucent to have just enough hint of the background......phew!
Call it the chemist in me but I lean toward the artist side when I experiment. Just look at the before and after side by side: (you may want to click to enlarge)
There are a lot of "one word" goals for the new year in the land of blog. I have not really got around to thinking about one but maybe I will adopt "EXPERIMENT" for now.
Take it from me, when you are stuck for an idea just put on your creativiTy hat,
let your tool of the day fly,
and if you "stir constantly"
You will always be on top of your experiment.
(Happy Birthday "T")